Một chút lịch s về trụ sở

Trường Y Khoa Sài gòn

 

Bác sĩ Nguyễn sơ Đông  

 

Sau hiệp định Geneve (20 tháng 7 năm 1954) chia đôi đất nước Việt Nam, Trường Đại học Y khoa Hà nội dời nốt vào Sàigon ở trụ sở 28 Rue Testard, với tên mới Faculté de Médecine et de Pharmacie, Université de Saigon. Trên thực tế, số 28 đường Testard chỉ là một biệt thự (villa) không có vẻ gì là “trường” cả. Biệt thự kiểu bánh ít, phía trước có tiền đình, bên hông có sân gạch (terrasse), phía sau cất thêm vỏn vẹn hai lớp học. Không có bảng tên, bảng hiệu gì cả.

Biệt thự này do Bác sĩ Henriette Bùi Quang Chiêu hiến cho Chính phủ Quốc gia Việt nam (BS Henriette, ái nữ của nhân sĩ Bùi Quang Chiêu, là vị nữ lưu đầu tiên ở Nam Kỳ đỗ bằng Tiến sĩ Y khoa--Docteur en Médecine-- du học ở Pháp về).

Trường y khoa và Dược khoa nằm ngay góc Testard và Barbé, góc bên kia là Lycée Chasseloup Laubat (sau này đổi tên là Jean Jacques Rousseau, rồi Lê Quý Đôn).

 

Một chút về lịch sử 28 Testard:

Năm 1791, Nguyễn Ánh còn bôn ba khắp Nam kỳ, từ Gia định, Gò công, Cần Giờ, Bạc Liêu, Cà mau, ra đến Phú Quốc. Nguyễn Ánh có hai vợ chính thức:

  1. Bà Tống thị Lan, mẹ Nguyễn Phúc Cảnh (1799-1801). Hoàng tử Cảnh đã theo Pierre Pigneau de Béhaine, Evêque d’ Adran (Đức Cha Bá Đa Lộc) sang Pháp cầu viện. Năm 1802, Nguyễn Ánh lên ngôi vua, niên hiêu là Gia Long. Bà được phong Thừa Thiên Hoàng Hậu năm 1806.

  2. Bà thứ nhì là Bà Trần Thị Đang. Bà Đang sinh ra Hoàng tử Nguyễn Phúc Đảm (sau này là vua Minh Mạng) năm 1791, lúc gia đình Nguyễn Ánh đang tá túc ở hậu liêu chùa Khải Tường.

Năm 1804, vua Gia Long đã cúng chùa Khải Tường một tượng Phật thật lớn “, thép vàng tuyệt kỷ” và ban cho một bia đá cao hơn hai thước tây (2 mètres), ghi lại tích Hoàng tử Đảm chào đời ở hậu liêu chùa Khải Tường.

Năm 1833 vua Minh Mạng cấp tiền trùng tu và ban hiệu “Quốc Ân Khải Tường Tự”.

Ngày 9 tháng 2 năm 1859 Phó Đề đốc (Vice Amiral) Rigault de Genouilly tấn công Sài gòn và chiếm thành Sàigòn ngày 17 tháng 2 năm 1859.

Quân Pháp chiếm chùa Khải Tường , lập Đồn Khải Tường và Đồn Cây Mai, Phú Lâm, Chợ Lớn.

Ngày 6 tháng 12 năm 1860, Đại úy Barbé, trưởng đồn Khải Tường, bị quân của Nguyễn Tri Phương phục kích giết chết. Pháp tức giận, phá bỏ đồn [tức là chùa] Khải Tường, lấy tấm bia đá trước đây vua Gia Long ban cho chùa, xoá hết chữ nôm , khắc tên và làm mộ bia cho Đại úy Barbé, được chôn đâu đó trong sân chùa.

Năm 1862, Pháp chiếnm ba tỉnh miền đông của Nam kỳ: Biên Hòa, Gia định, Định Tường.

Năm 1867, Pháp chiếm nốt ba tỉnh miền tây: Long Hồ, An Giang, Hà Tiên.

Pháp đặt nền cai trị trên toàn cỏi Nam Kỳ, phát triển Sài Gòn và đặt tên Barbé cho con đường.

Năm 1945 kháng chiến nam bộ đập tan tành bia đá Barbé, san bằng mộ của ông ta.

Chùa Khải Tường, nếu đem đối chiếu trong bản đồ Sài Gòn Chợ Lớn sau này, chính là vị trí villa của BS Henriette Bùi Quang Chiêu, được hiến cho Chính Phủ Quốc Gia Việt Nam làm trụ sở Faculté de Médecine et de Pharmacie ở số 28 đường Testard.

Về tên đường Testard, Testard du Cosgner là Hải Quân Trung Tá Hạm Trưởng Tàu Décrès, trong quân đoàn Pháp đánh chiếm Bắc Kỳ năm 1873.

Năm 1955 chính phủ Ngô đình Diệm đổi tên đường  Testard thành đường Trần Quý Cáp và đường Barbé thành đường Lê Quý Đôn. Phái bộ văn hóa Pháp đổi tên Trường Chasseloup thành Jean Jacques Rousseau.

 

Về hai nhân vật mà tên được đặt cho hai con đường cạnh trường y khoa:

Trần Quý Cáp:

Gốc Quảng Nam , sinh năm 1870, đậu tiến sĩ năm 1904 (Thành Thái thứ 16), cùng với Phan Chu Trinh, Huỳnh Thúc Kháng hô hào cải cách duy tân. Năm 1908, tham gia phong trào chống thuế. Tuần vũ Khánh Hoà Phạm Ngọc Quát bắt giam, tuy chỉ tịch thu được một bức họa đồ thế giới và một bản “Hải Ngoại Huyết Thư” của Phan Bội Châu. Quát đã kết án tử hình Trần Quý Cáp bằng ba chữ “Mạc Tu Hữu”, là ba chữ mà Tần Cối đã ghi vào hồ sơ của Nhạc Phi để giết cho mau, vì án từ đã không có tang chứng đích đáng thì đặt vào tội nào cũng được. Quát còn ác độc bắt Tiến sĩ Trần Quý Cáp chịu yêu trảm tức là chém ngang lưng.

Lê Quý Đôn:

Gốc Hưng Yên, sinh năm 1726. Năm 27 tuổi đỗ tam nguyên bảng nhãn. Vốn tính tự kiêu, tự cho mình là thông suốt thiên kinh vạn quyển, ông sai treo ngoài cửa một tấm bảng: “Thiên Hạ Nghi Nhất Tự Lai Vấn” (Ai có chữ gì không biết cứ đến mà hỏi). Sau có một nhà sư đố mẹo, “không biết chữ nhất (-) là gì”, nên cho gở bảng.

 

(21 tháng 4 năm 2008)

 

 

The First Saigon Medical School :

Historical Notes

Dong So Nguyen , MD

 

Before 1946, Indochina had only one medical school in Hanoi , officially called: ‘École de Médecine et de Pharmacie de Plein Exercice de l’Indochine’. In 1946, a branch of the school, called ‘École de Médecine et de Pharmacie de Hanoi, Section de Saigon’ was established in Saigon , more than a thousand miles away South[1].  After Vietnam was divided into two different states according to the Geneva treaty of July 20,1954, most of the faculty and the students of the main Hanoi campus wanted to flee the new communist regime in the North and moved to the Saigon branch, which now became an independent medical school with a new official name: ‘ Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy of the University of Saigon’.

In reality, its facility at 28 Testard Street consisted only of a former private residence, a villa that from the outside did not show any indication that it was the siege of an prestigious academic institution. It had a porch in the front, a brick courtyard on one side and in the back there was an addition that provided space for  two classrooms. The first floor was used for offices, a library and a conference room; the upper floor was reserved for the Dean’s office and a faculty room. There were no board or sign anywhere to greet or guide a visitor[2].

Dr Henriette Bui, daughter of the famous Bùi Quang Chiêu, and the first Cochinchinese woman holding the medical doctor degree from a French university, had donated the villa to the nationalist Vietnamese government.

Historical notes about the medical school site:

The school’s new address, No 28  Rue Testard , at the intersection of Testard and Barbé Streets and across the street from Lycée Jean Jacques Rousseau, has a long historic past.

In 1791, there was at the same site a pagoda named Khải Tường. Emperor Gia Long (born 1762) was still a prince on the run, in his struggle against the Tây Sơn brothers who had chased his family from the Nguyễn capital city of Huế in 1775. He was hiding with his family in the back building of the pagoda when his second wife Trần Thị Đang gave birth to Prince Nguyễn Phúc Đảm, who later succeeded Gia Long in 1820 as Emperor Minh Mạng.

In 1804, Gia Long donated a Buddha statue to the pagoda, a “gigantic, gold plated masterpiece” (Vương Hồng Sển), and erected a stone stele, more than two meters in height, with an inscription documenting the previous birth of his son in the back of the pagoda. In 1833, Minh Mạng funded a restoration of the pagoda and gave it the honorific name of “Quốc Ân Khải Tường Tự’ (Khai Tuong Pagoda, Benefactor of the Nation).

On February 9th, 1859, vice admiral Rigault de Genouilly attacked Saigon Citadel which was lost to the French on February 17,1859. The French occupied Khải Tường Pagoda, established a military post there, and a second one at Cây Mai  (Apricot Tree) Pagoda (Phú Lâm, Chợ Lớn). On 12-6-1860, French Captain Barbé, chief of Khải Tường post, was killed in an ambush by General Nguyễn Tri Phương’s Vietnamese resistance forces. The enraged French troups destroyed the temple and abandoned the outpost. They took the royal stele, erased its Nôm commemorative inscription, and used it as a tombstone for Barbé, buried somewhere on the grounds of the former pagoda. In 1867, France took control of Cochinchina in its entirety; developed Saigon into a western style city and the street near Barbé’s tomb was named after him. In 1945, Cochinchinese Resistance fighters destroyed Barbé’s tombstone and leveled his grave.  The other street next to the old medical school was named after Testard du Cosgner, captain of French warship Décrès, who participated in the French conquest of Tonkin ( North Vietnam ) in 1873.

In 1955, under Prime Minister Ngô Đình Diệm, Testard and Barbé Streets were renamed Trần Quý Cáp and Lê Quý Đôn, respectively. (Trần Quý Cáp, born 1840, a Quảng Nam intellectual holding a doctor degree, worked for the “Modernization” (Phong Trào Duy Tân, with Phan Chu Trinh and Huỳnh Thúc Kháng)) and the Tax Reform (chống thuế) movements against the puppet Huế Court, was sentenced to death and executed by cutting across the waist (yêu trảm). Lê Quí Đôn, born 1726, was a Vietnamese scholar famous for his precocious scholarship and his wits as well as for his arrogance.)

 

The New Medical School in Cho Lon.

In 1954 there were only 70-80 students in each class year. They had to attend many courses and laboratory sessions at other facilities such as the Anatomy Institute and Hồng Bàng Hospital in Cholon or Đô Thành Hospital in downtown Saigon . So, in the 1960’s, with a rapidly growing demand for more doctors, a much larger student body and with many newly trained professors coming back from abroad, there was a strong demand for a new, modern and much larger facility.

Construction of the new medical school, funded half by American aid money and half by the Vietnamese government, was started in 1963 and completed in 1966, costing 2.5 million dollars. Its size and importance are unrivaled among educational building projects in Vietnam even until now, more than forty years later.

(Translated and edited by Hien V. Ho, MD)



[2] Dr. Nguyễn Sơ Đông’s personal communications (4-11-2008) and http://www.ykhoasaigon.com/tyksg.html  (retrieved 4-11-2008)